Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bike to Beat Cancer

This past Memorial Day, I rode in the Mayor's Bike, Hike, and Paddle and successfully rode 15 miles.  While I did have a blowout around the 9 mile mark, the support folks came and changed the tube for me, only to find that the tire had blown out too.  Thinking I was done for the day, the other support van came by and I asked if he had a tire.  Believe it or not, he had one, and I was able to get it changed out, and I was back on the course so I could finish.  Surprisingly, the support people do not charge for the parts and I am extremely grateful for the help.  Totally unexpected.

So on to my next challenge.  The Bike To Beat Cancer ride supports the Norton's Cancer Institute, and I am riding for the Suburban's Norton's Cancer Institute, where I had my treatment.  I have chosen the 65 mile course as a goal to push further towards getting in shape.  The ride is on Sept 24th, 2011 at EP Tom Sawyer Park.

As part of the challenge, I have set a goal to raise $500 for this race.  You can donate online from my personal page for this very worthwhile cause, but don't feel obligated to donate.  Naturally, I would love to reach a higher goal, but anything works for me. :)  Please support my ride if you can.

Donate here on my personal page

2 comments:

  1. Rob, You are one of the BEST! SO proud and thankful to call you friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you did this race or that you signed up for the next one. So proud of you. Keep up the good work towards getting back in shape. love you. molli

    ReplyDelete