Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Treatment #1a

Wow, I don't know what to say about my experience today.  It was long, but only 6 hours long.  I guess they factor in possible complications and wags of time that could take longer.  Basically I feel fine.  Maybe a little tired.

The day started with some nausea and antibiotic iv drugs.  The first bag of chemo was fludarabine (Fludara), which was a clear solution and went in without any feeling.  I will say the stick to connect to the port was very easy, and I like it better than the iv's in the hand.

Second bag, which I call Mr. Smurf, was the Mitoxantrone (Novantrone) and it's a dark blue.  I will add a photo of that one.  This to went in very fast and I did not see any after affects of the blue solution, yet. :)

 Angie, this does not mean I bleed blue now.  But that made me laugh!

The last bag which was Rituximab (Rituxan) and was the hardest.  I didn't take another photo of that, it was clear.  I felt my scalp tingle and itch a little, but that was a possible side effect to watch for.  Nothing to be concerned over.   I did notice a bump on my head, that seemed to get bigger as the meds went in.  It's gone now, so I am going to be watching that one.  They increased the drip like every 20 minutes, and I did feel my chest get a little tight, but all in all, it wasn't bad.  4pm and I went home.  That was fast.

I feel pretty full, due to drinking water and all the fluids going in me.  I am feeling a little tired right now. But not really any pain.  I have a little ways to go but so far, all is good.  Now what happens as time goes forward I don't know.  But I truly feel really good.  And yes I drove home as I felt fine.

When I explained my chemo the other day I was not clear.  My treatments consist of an 8 hour day like today, then two one hour days.   So the first day is approx 8 hours, then the next two are only 1 hour.  So each treatment is 3 days total.  So my first day of treatment 1 went very well.  Probably gonna take  a nap and relax, but feel really good.  :)

Thanks for all the texts and comments today during my long day, it kept me busy.  Today, my buddy Chris brought me lunch, and had a great visit.  My dad came by after work to visit till the end of the day. What a fun day.



  1. I bet you're glad the 1st one is behind you.

  2. yeah your buddy chris did earn a spot in your blog but don't forget the small people( aka the one who risked her phone's life in school all day to make sure you weren't bored.) LOL
    -Holly N.

  3. Hi Rob,

    Hope you are still feeling good and that there haven't been any bad effects.

    You are in our thoughts and prayers - if you need anything, just give us a holler and we will Git R Done!

    Take Care