Monday, December 3, 2012

1.21 gigawatts of power

Okay, so only 200 rads, but couldn't help but reference an awesome movie Back to the Future.  So I met with my radiation oncologist today, from now on called the rad onc.  Kinda neat to see a doctor come in for a consultation and bring in no papers.  Just sat down, shut the door, and rattled off my entire experience with cancer without even blinking.  He laid out what was coming up for me, and then asked if I had any questions.  I did ask why removing the mass wasn't an option, even though I kinda knew why.  :)  There are many lymph nodes, and removing one mass might not get all the little ones in the area that might be building.  So, here we go.  Thursday morning I have a CT scan that will help pinpoint where the radiation therapy will be applied.  I will be fitted with a mesh mash that will hold my head in one place for the treatments.  I will have ten 15 minute treatments of radiation, each about 200 rads or whatever term is used, wish I could be 100% on that but just can't. :)  At this dosage, there should not be any harmful effects that could occur like damaging the salivary glands in the throat and mouth.  Might have a little discomfort in my throat that feels like a sore throat, and maybe some mouth sores, but nothing too bad.

Hoping for a good experience, and sounds like I am in good hands.  So here we go.  I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment